'Barbarism is the natural state of mankind,' the borderer said, still staring somberly at the Cimmerian. 'Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph.'

-Robert E. Howard
Beyond The Black River

Corrupt Cliffs

Corrupt Cliffs
Get your FREE Narrative Terrain Deck today!

Saturday, January 24, 2015

D&D Attack Wing. First game.

I am more of a sci-fi fan than a fantasy fan.  That doesn't mean I hate the fantasy setting.  For example I am a huge fan of Conan.  I played D&D in my teens and when I did a lot of war gaming I played Warhammer: Fantasy as well. 

I liked the look of X-wing and have gotten a little into it and played a few times.  However one of my friends came back from GenCon excited about D&D Attack Wing.  He has played a few times after picking it up after Christmas, before but this particular game was new to me.

We picked a scenario that used named dragons, a blue and a copper.  I took the blue dragon and he took the copper.  We filled out our dragons to 50 points.  The scenario involved us in a cavernous lair with 5 treasure piles.  If you were within one of the piles you could pick up the pile and see what it was.  2 special items, 2 generic piles of gold and 1 fire trap, that could potentially damage the dragon.

Initial set-up two dragons in a lair locked in combat but still looking for treasure.

The first turn resulted in both of us moving 4 and falling short of the treasure piles.  In round two I got to my pile and he got to his.  My treasure was an iron tail spike, good for rear attacks. His first treasure was the FIRETRAP!  Sadly it did no damage to him.  I was also hit with a slow breath weapon which hampered my ability to maneuver.

We maneuvered and he picked up the other special item which allowed his red maneuvers to no longer be red.  He can now do the 4move Uturn easily.  Not good for me.  We had an exchange of breath weapons and I came out on the bottom suffering 1 damage, one being critical and removing my single agility die.

In the next pass I placed my dragon next to his in a beautiful attempt to hammer him with my magic missile spell.  When I attempted this he used a special ability called trixster to use it against me causing an additional damage to my dragon.

In an attempt to recover my breath weapon I chose to put distance between us to give myself maximum time and defense dice.  

This unfortunately put me close to the table edge, I might have been able to pull the u-turn but chose to just make a sharp right in front and use my evade action.  I suffered one more damage in the attack, rolling one dodge and using my evade token.

I had hoped to have him overfly me but I didn't choose enough movement and although it did allow me to use my tailspike, it allowed him to attack me as well.


I scored some good die rolls here, but sadly his three dice rolled ALL dodges.  The dice do really hate me.

In the last round I was injured to the point I thought he would try and win vie scenario win conditions.  I needed to get lucky and kill the dragon in the next turn.  Pretty large order since I had yet to wound him.  I wheeled and came to the position I thought he would move to.  Again I had poorly estimated distance and he ended up beside me, placing me in arc and him out of arc.

This was the end of the scenario.

Overall it was a good game.  Very strongly like X-wing which isn't surprising.  We didn't use any of the ground mechanics in the game, although they did add a some interesting tactical ideas.

Huge plus to the game in my books is there is enough dice in the boxed set.  X-wing suffers from not including enough dice.  ie 3 defense dice.  Ties with an agility of 3 and at long range need 4.

I would have liked to have done better in this exchange but it was my first time and I think I did ok in terms of predicting movement, just not distance.  Perhaps he just did a better job.

No comments:

Post a Comment